SALES FEATURES OF GRILLO WALK-BEHIND TRACTORS
1. What is a Walk-Behind tractor, anyway?
It is a 2-wheeled (single-axle) power-plant with an engine on one end and a PTO on the other, which will operate a variety of implements ranging from Tillage tools to Mowers to Snow removal equipment to stationary applications such as wood splitters, chipper/shredders and generators, with a greater selection of implements available as time goes on. Other names for them include Walking tractors, Hand tractors, Two-wheel tractors or Single-axle tractors.
Walk-behind tractors in general are a poorly understood equipment sector for most present-day Americans, and there are currently NONE of these tractors made in the USA. This was not always the case; in the 1950s, there were many walk-behind tractor manufacturers operating in the USA: Gravely, ChoreMaster, David Bradley, Frasier, Bolens and even Simplicity used to make them, among other companies.
Currently, most of the world’s production of Walk-behind tractors is in Italy. In many of the mountainous countries of Europe, these small tractors have always been very practical for small farms (and many farms are very small in Europe), especially in steep terrain.
Modern Italian Walk-behind tractors differ from their Historical counterparts in several ways:
- A. All-Gear Drive (Gravely tractors were gear drive, but the other brands were not)
- B. Having a PTO (again, Gravely always had this, but many of the others were designed for push- or pull-type implements only [plow, disks, cultivator, scraper blade, etc.])
- C. Fully Reversible Handlebars to allow Front- OR Rear-PTO operation
- D. More compact and maneuverable
- E. More implements available, easier to change implements
2. Why would someone want a Walk-behind tractor?
The advantages of Walk-behind tractors, compared to typical lawn and garden equipment, are numerous:
- A. With a commercial gear-drive transmission (through-hardened steel gears & shafts, ball bearings, all in an oil bath) and an Automotive-type clutch, an investment in a walk-behind tractor will typically last the purchaser a Lifetime, unlike the throw-away nature of most equipment today.
- B. Only ONE power unit, with commercial grade engine, to maintain; if used for various tasks year-‘round, engine storage problems (stale fuel, etc.) are minimized or eliminated.
- C. While the investment in the tractor and ONE implement (for example, tractor and tiller) may seem high compared to more cheaply-built single-purpose tillers on the market, it will not only perform better and last much longer, but every additional implement purchase in the future offsets the “package” cost and actual cost savings to the customer over single-purpose equipment are quickly realized. Plus, a walk-behind tractor and a host of implements take up a LOT LESS ROOM than a garage or shed full of their single-purpose counterparts!
3. What makes Grillo better than other brands?
There are 3 brands currently sold on the U.S. market which we can compare to:
--Gravely™ (Not currently selling new machines, but a lot of people relate to the old ones)
Grillo Vs. DR™:
DR barely qualifies as a walk-behind tractor, since it is really just a brush mower that other implements were adapted to after-the-fact, instead of a well-engineered system from the start. Disadvantages of DR™ equipment are: Belt drive to PTO and to disposable transaxle gearbox, extremely limited implement selection (again, front-mount only…there are NO soilworking options for a DR), and generally, the DR equipment is simply not any better quality than typical disposable lawn & garden grade equipment.
Grillo Vs. BCS™:
This is the closest comparison, as both these brands are head- to-head competitors in Italy. However, the advantages Grillo currently offers are: Better value: The closest comparable Grillo models sell for less than their BCS counterparts, and usually offer more features. More Implements: We offer nearly twice the implement selection that BCS offers their dealers. More reliable: With a clutch that won’t freeze during storage and a heavier-duty tiller gearbox, Grillo machines will keep your customers happy. Easier to Service: When performing repairs on Grillo, no special tricks or tools are needed, and ALL components are fully serviceable with standard shop tools. (BCS uses a non-serviceable standard clutch with a retail price of about $290…a new lining for the fully-serviceable Grillo clutch is about $40. Also, BCS has now introduced a Hydraulic clutch on some models, which, if it fails, is VERY expensive and time-consuming to service)
Grillo Vs. Gravely™:
We offer more than 5 times the implement selection for Grillo that Gravely™ offered for their tractors. Also, the Gravely™ tractors DO NOT have reversible handlebars for properly using soil-working implements; all Gravely™ implements are front-mounted.
Warranty is against defects in materials and/or workmanship, and to original Purchaser. Improper use/maintenance, negligence, abuse and normal wearing parts are not covered by this warranty. Owner may have other legal rights which vary from state to state.
FOR CONSUMER / RESIDENTIAL / HOMESTEAD USE, MODELS G85 through G131, 3500 (USA and Canada):
10 YEARS from date of purchase on all transmission components that run in gear oil; parts and labor
3 YEARS from date of purchase on all other tractor components; parts and labor.
2 YEARS from date of purchase; parts and labor.
FOR COMMERCIAL OR INCOME-PRODUCING USE ON G85 thru G131, 3500; HOME USE ON G52 (USA and CAN):
5 YEARS from date of purchase on all transmission components that run in gear oil; parts and labor
1 YEAR from date of purchase on all other tractor components; parts and labor. (EXTENDED to 3 years on G52)
1 YEAR from date of purchase; parts and labor (EXTENDED to 3 years on G52)
FOR RENTAL USE (and NON-USA/CA sales) OF G85 thru G131, 3500; COMMERCIAL USE OF G52 :
1 YEAR on complete tractor and all implements, parts and labor.
Engine parts and warranties are handled through authorized sales & warranty centers for the specific engine brand; contact specific engine manufacturer / area supplier for details. We do offer warranty support & parts for the Kohler Diesel engines.